Wizard's Tricks

Wizard's Tricks
By E. M. Areson
Fate has never wanted me to be normal. My birth had been three months early, I’d been expected to die. So, naturally, I decided never to die. If I told people I remembered the day after I’d been born they would think it was nonsense. Maybe it is. But that doesn’t change what I know. I’d been left alone in a crib in a forgotten room of my family's home. My tiny lungs couldn’t handle the weight of the air within them. If I had been the kind of person like any of my family I would have fought, pushed my lungs even when they hurt and not given in. But I’m not like my family.
My lungs hurt, so I stopped trying to breathe. My lungs stopped, I couldn’t help but want to smile. I hadn’t panicked, I had heard past the silence and into myself. The sound of my lungs had been blocked out the sound of something better than the ways of my family. At that moment I could have started breathing again and embraced the path of all my family. I could have been normal. But I wasn’t going to be normal.
I hadn’t cared about breathing anymore, I had allowed myself to fall into the sounds of my soul. It had been the sound of magic I’d heard. I’d probably been dying but the sound of the magic had been enough. It’d been peaceful, I’d come across a bit of the sound of magic that I’d known would help me with my problem. I’d flexed my hand, the air had grown lighter and I’d been able to breathe again. So I had breathed, and in doing so I’d begun my journey.
My siblings had been too rough for me so I’d contented myself with study. I’d learned safer ways of silencing myself to hear the sound of magic. I’d refined the art of using magic. I had learned that once I heard a sound I could simply think of it and flex my hand or fingers in a certain way. My siblings never spent time with me except when they thought they could get something out of it. I’d used magic many times over the course of my childhood to make them stronger, faster, and more handsome. In my family, it’s tradition to give anyone gift the child requests on their fifth birthday. For mine, it had been a greenhouse. None of my siblings had ever entered and it had become my hideaway.
My parents had taken me before the Council of Houses when I’d been about nine. They’d told the Council of my abilities. The ruling house of the time, Eurlo, had declared me a wizard. Once, it had been a proud title. Not now though. No, now we’re too advanced for that. Advanced, really what's so advanced about it. We don’t have any wars but we’ve made near civil war a sport. It doesn't make much sense to me, but what can I do about it?
I’d been about fifteen when I’d met the first of the three creatures I’d cared about. Thoren, my oldest brother, had killed a dragon and had brought back the smashed eggs and slain young. He’d also brought back the head of the mother. It’d been repulsive really, but it was what they did. I’d looked at one of the young to compare it to a drawing in a book when I’d noticed something. It had still been alive, the poor thing. How I didn’t know but its wings were broken, its back legs had been barely attached and a long gash had gone down the side of its face. It had only lived so long because it had stayed silent, it’d reminded me of myself.
I’d known no one would have understood this connection. So I’d stole the young one. I’d gently wrapped in a cloth and had hidden it in my pocket. It’d stayed silent and I had taken it to my greenhouse and had laid it on a table. I’d known what I’d needed to do would hurt it. And yet, I’d also know if I’d put it to sleep it might not have re-awakened. I’d apologized and whispered words of comfort as I’d worked. Its back legs had to be removed, I’d stick cut, and I’d bandaged its wings. It’d wined and its had eyes watered, yet it’d let me work.
When I’d finished it’d looked more like a snake than a dragon. I’d used more magic than I’d ever had before. I’d named it Gerti, and I’d decided it was a he. I’d then collapsed from the use of that much magic and when I’d woke up I’d nearly died. Yet, there he’d been, next to me. He’d weighted for me to wake up. Gerti had grown to about five feet and had become a beautiful blue with touches of green. His eyes had shifted between red and orange and just they’d been intelligent as my own. He’d been the first thing I can honestly say I’d loved.
A year or so later I’d gone on a trip with some of my family to the House of  Jurlo. I hadn’t been happy at leaving Gerti but it hadn’t been like I could tell anyone why I’d wanted to stay behind. The House of Jurlo had been very proud of their monster hunting ability. Monsters, really? Most were breed by the Council of Houses then they’d released so they could be killed. The night we arrived one of the men had brought the carcass of a ‘great wolf’. In reality, it had been a normal wolf with a bit larger teeth and claws. The next day I’d taken a walk and had found Furon.
He’d been the cub of the wolf that had been killed, the only one to survive. He’d been maybe a day or two old and had fit in the palm of my hand. I’d put him in my pocket and had nursed him using milk I’d taken from a goat. I’d used magic to accelerate his growth so he’d been able to eat meat within that week. The meat had been easier to get and I was glad when he’d grown strong enough to be left alone in the greenhouse. Furon had never got much bigger than a house cat, despite the fact his teeth and claws had grown extra long. I’m not sure what Gerti had thought about the newcomer but they’d got along well enough. Furon had loved playing with Gerti and whenever Gerti had enough he’d simplclimbmb a tree or a boulder to be alone.
My last loved-one had been Halper. She’d an unexpected find even though I hadn’t really expected to find any of them. I’d been in the kitchens stealing some meat for Furon when I’d noticed a large basket of eggs. Gerti had always loved eggs so I’d slipped some into my pockets. Later, after Furon had his dinner, I’d showed Gerti his eggs. He’d been very pleased and had wrapped around my neck in gratitude. Then an egg with brown spots had hatched. The oldest, ugliest bird I’d ever seen had cawed angrily at me.  
Gerti had looked at me confused wondering why his snack had suddenly become alive. I’d no good answer for him. The ugly bird had grown younger as time passed and I’d eventually began calling her Halper. She’d go through her life cycle every month and as she’d get younger she’d get in a better mood. Until eventually when she’d be totally loving and turn into an egg. Gerti had been always suspicious of eggs after that and he’d never ate any egg without thoroughly examining it first.
You probably think all of this it pointless. I don’t blame you if you don’t care. But, my friend insanity, if you want to hear my story you must know of my past. My name is Isley, I’m the youngest of my eight siblings. My three older sisters and two of my older brothers moved away years ago leaving me, my brothers Horon and Mrilk, my father, and mother. Oh, and don’t forget my nine uncles, eleven aunts and about fifty cousins that also live at the family estate; none of whom I care enough about to name. We’re all of the House of Jutop, now back to the past.
In the great dining hall at my families estate, dozens of beautiful cousins had laughed around me. They were popular and strong and unrealistically good looking. My brothers were in the center of all the glory and crowd. It was a shame, really, I’d loathed them so much I’d wanted to turn them into toads most of the time. Yet, I’d still keep them handsome and muscular.
Have I gotten across the idea that my life stinks? Because if I haven’t don’t worry things will get much worse for me soon. This year it’s my family’s turn to participate in the War Games. What fun, fighting between Houses for no real reason. What a wonderfully stupid idea in my opinion. Not that my opinion seems to matter at all.
I’d glance down at my plate, the roasted meat was too large to eat with silverware but the idea of eating with my hands had repulsed me. It wasn’t hard to use magic. The magic I’d use to cut my food into bite-sized portions was something I’d been doing my whole life.
I’d glanced around to see if anyone had been paying attention. My magic wasn’t wrong, it’d simply made people uncomfortable when it didn't benefit them. I’d been at the end of the last table near the back of the room. My parents and brothers had been at the head of the table at the front of the room. I didn’t think I’d set at that tabe since I’d left my mother’s womb. I had three seats between me and Uncle Ruuli. He’d been drunk, as usual, so with a flick of a finger, I’d cut my meat into reasonable sized pieces. I’d picked up my fork and speared a cut of meat. I’d put it in my mouth and just allowed it to sit on my tongue for a minute before I’d chewed it.
My skin had prickled the same way it always had when someone was staring at me. I’d shifted on the bench and looked around. I’d swallowed the meat in my mouth and had kept trying to catch their eye. Finally, I’d seen her, I hadn’t remember her having been one of my relatives. She hadn’t looked like one of my relatives, and when she’d seen me looking at her she turned her head away. It had revealed her House’s emblem on her shoulder. She’d been from the House of Tillion. It had been one of our allie for generations. I’d then noticed her companion, an older man, he’d also been from the House of Tillion.
That had explained it. She’d there because the man, he’d probably been her uncle uncle, had wanted her to marry into our House. That had been a common enough practice and I’d wondered which of my cousins would ask me to make him look more attractive for the wedding. It’d been an annoying thought, more than annoying actually. I’d gone back to my meat and took another bite. It hadn’t been very flavorful, but it’d been well cooked.
My hair had stood on end again and I’d looked back at the lady who’d been looking at me earlier. She’d looked back down and though I’d kept eating I’d still watched her. Her eyes had been drawn back to me once again. I’d known it was only trouble, yet, I’d flexed my fingers slightly and had poked her shoulder. She’d turned and saw that, of course, no one had been behind her. I’d smiled and had continued eating. For a few minutes she’d been distracted, but soon she’d looked at me again. We’d went through this process several times before she’d caught on.
Horon had come over to me and had set down smiling, he’d obviously been after something. I’d glared at him from the corner of my eye. As a child he’d been more accepting than most, you could see it in the amount of magic I’d used on him. His smile had been charming, his arms had been muscular, and I’d been unable count how many women had envied his fiancee. We were so different, his hair was light, his eyes dark. My hair was dark and my eyes a light green. He’d always loved violence and I’d always hated fights, that a less noticeable difference at first, but something to remember.
“Isley,” Horon had smiled and had put his hand on my shoulder. “Will you be my strategist for the practice round?”
I’d glared at him, “You really want me to be your strategist?”
“Your the best. Plus I heard Father say your not competing,” He’d smiled but I’d seen through it. Mother had probably put him up to this and he’d known I was a talented strategist. I’d simply never wanted to play the game.
“You know how I feel about the games. I don’t like watching, let alone playing.”
He’d took his hand away and had nodded, “All right, I’ll leave you be.”
I’d continued to eat and one by one my relatives left. I’d been tempted take the rest of the meat to Furon, but the girl had still at her table. My family would have been very unhappy if my unusual habits had scared off another suter. Her uncle had left her to talk to my cousin Yril. No doubt he’d been the one that would end up marrying her. She’d sat for another minuet and when the last of my relatives had left the hall she’d stood. Carefully she’d walked over.
“Are you the wizard Isley?” She’d looked at me then at her feet, she’d been clearly shy.
I’d nodded and set down my fork. “Is there something I can do for you?”
“No. I just wanted to meet you. You healed my great-uncle from the scaring sickness.” She’d looked at the bench and I’d motioned for her to sit.
“I didn’t heal anyone, I simply removed the appearance of scars.” I’d thought about flirting with her.
Not to brag, but I’d rather good at flirting when the girl wasn’t utterly terrified of me. Even when a girl hadn’t started out anything more than shy usually she’d run away after a couple minutes. I’d always felt it was justified since my father had told me for the good of the House I’d never be able to marry. I’d made what would be a foolish choice. I’d decided to flirt.
“Are you here to marry into the House of Jutop?”
She’d been unable to hide her blush. “Yes, my uncle wants me to marry Yril.”
I’d nodded, “He’s lucky.”
She’d smiled and I’d waved a few fingers then had set the hand on my lap. She’d reached to her own lap and had removed the lily I’d placed there. “How did you do that?”
I’d winked. “Magic.”
“Ferruling!” She’d turned only to pale at the sight of her uncle. “What are you doing with that wizard. Your fiancee is waiting outside.”
“You mean it’s official?” She’d stood.
“Yes, now go out and meet him.”
She’d gone with some reluctance but also some excitement, witch I’d been happy to see. Yril would have been very anger if his bride had been too entranced by me. When she’d left her uncle had set down where she’d been sitting. His anger had faded fast once she’d left.
“Look, Isley? I’ve heard about you from your family. You’ve brought honor to your House but you are forbidden to marry because… I’m sure you know why. Please don’t mess up this marriage.”
I’d shrugged, “I don’t have any intention of doing anything of the sort. I simply find enjoyment in occasionally talking to someone who doesn’t think I’ll do something terrible to them.”
He hadn’t known what to do for a moment then he’d laughed. “I suppose that’s true isn’t it?”
“This life isn’t very accepting of someone like me.”

I hadn’t realized this at the time but Ferruling had mentioned talking to me to Yril. This hadn’t made him too happy, yet he’d convinced himself to weight to do anything. He didn’t think he could have done anything on his own. He’d realized, to get back at me, he’d need the help of at least one of my brothers or cousins.
Photo By: Jeremy Yap
Part Two Comming 5/25/18

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South to Freedom

The Lava Warriors

The Human I'm Friends With