They Were Me

They Were Me E. M. Areson
 Laying on the bed in Rose’s bedroom they held hands as the life that should have belonged to two was merging into one. Their brain waves had been connected when a science experiment Fredric’s father had been doing went terribly wrong. They had lived on opposite sides of the plant then, but the mental link had drawn them together. Not oceans, or governments, or time zones could keep them apart now that they were together.
 They had been connected almost three years, it had given them intelligence without thinking about it, they could communicate no matter where they were, they knew everything about each other.
They had figured out that, in theory, they could never have a merged brain without becoming one person for too long. But after the first year, their worries vanished. They were two in one and yet two. Now that wasn’t the case. They had started jinxing their thoughts, at first it was cool… then they started agreeing on everything. Their differences disappeared.
They had been so different before, even with a connected brain. They’re friends, fellow Freaks, thought something was going on but didn’t know what exactly. They blinked in perfect unison, breathing in harmony.
I’m afraid, Fredrik, Rose thought.
I know, I’m scared too. Fredric agrees in their mind.
I hope everything ends up okay. This time it was neither Rose or Fredric, but both in the way that made it neither of them. Frose, their friends had kiddingly called their ship name, now it was who they were literally becoming.
I don’t want to stop being me, I don’t want us to be us not-
Me.
I love you Rose, not the sibling love we’ve always said. It deep, intimate. I love you more than I love myself. I love you, romantic love.
I know, I’m part of you remember? We’re so close, I wish we would have loved each other when we could have. Like two people love each other.
I love you.
Tears rolled down from both faces and they looked at each other, feelings that words could never express flowed through their minds and they clasped hands tighter. They leaned together for a kiss.
I liked that.
I wish it would stop.
I don’t care anymore, we’re together that’s all that matters. Fredrik looked at the only girl he’d ever kissed.
I’ll miss you. Rose wiped away a tear of his.
Me too. You know when we finally join minds fully we’re going to die? One mind wasn’t meant to live in two bodies.
Then let’s live now.
Rose kissed Fredrik. He kissed back as the final walls began to crash making them one. They pulled away and looked deep into each other's eyes thinking only of the love they had for each other, as two people. They squeezed hands hard.
I’ll miss this, I love youNo... me...
Tears streamed down two faces as Frose looked at itself in its other face.
I’m one person, they’re dead. I’m here and they’re not. I’m me, all I ever wanted when they were first joined was to go back to being one person, but this isn’t right. Who am I? I am Frose, one person living in two bodies. Fredrik and Rose are dead. My real selves. They were me, and I’m alone. I am Frose.

Photo By: ian dooley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South to Freedom

The Lava Warriors

The Human I'm Friends With