Siren

Siren
By E. M. Areson

To say I’ve been at the bottom of the food chain is an understatement. I don’t know exactly where I’m from but I’ve been bought, stolen and resold more times then I can remember. Currently, my name is Deril, but that could change any day my current master decides he doesn’t like it. Like where I’m from, my actual name’s been forgotten with all the times I’ve been shipped around.

You might wonder what I’ve been doing to be in such trouble. I’m a cabin boy, I’ve served merchants, the Ingush, the Renche, and the Painsh. Currently, though I’m owned by pirates. Of course, I never stay with one master for too long they say I’m a curse, ever boat I go on sinks within six months of my in-barking. Freedom is all I’ve ever wanted, but I can’t seem to stay off the sea.

I swallowed, “Yes Sir, I’ve seen some tough times; but what do you mean you’ll free me?”

“There’s an island we’re getting near. An ol’ friend a mine left some loot we were supposed to divvy up. He died of the skurvie last fall but I need our loot back. Thing is, She’s taken up liven’ there,” He smiled showing his missing teeth. “You get rida her you got your freedom.”

My gut turned. This wasn’t a good idea I knew, “Who’s She, Sir?”

“They say Sea was her father; the Wind, her mother. Some have called her a siren, but that don't matter. Wears a dress made out of sails and her hair’s like storm clouds,” Captain Torken said in a grunt. “Hate that ol’ sea witch, likes to cause trouble. Sunk more ships than any storm could and She’s tricky too. Got more ‘en one man to jump.”

The lamp on the Captain's desk flickered almost leaving us in the dark. Unlike most of the other sailors, the dark didn’t frighten me in the least, I saw just fine without light. A quality that added to my reputation for bad luck… Not that my current master knew about that of course.

“I’ll try Sir,” I held my breath as he dismissed me. Great I thought, trying not to trip on the rope spread out across the stairs. Just great, I’m going to get killed by a siren.

The sailor's reactions to my embarking were too extreme to be normal, some seemed very happy and others seemed to be morning. I climbed into the small boat and watched as they lowered me into the sea. Everything began to rock as I rowed towards the island. I tried to look back at the ship, but they were pulling away. Another bad sign.

The island was small, not more than a mile all around I’d say, it was mostly rocky with sharp cliffs and what looked like some caves. I pulled the boat up to the beach and stepped out. Pebbles crunched under my boots and the air seemed more like mist than air.

“Are you looking for me?”

I turned so sharply the pebbles caused me to lose my footing and I fell back into the boat.

“Are you okay. I’m Lyssa. How did you get in?”

I peered over the edge of the boat trying to sit up, the speaker was the siren. She was tall and of a powerful build, she reached out her hand and pulled me out of the boat easily. Her hair was a blondish-silver and her eyes pierced me like knives. They weren’t necessarily curious, but they were seeking something; almost like she could see into my soul.

“You’re a male.” She said it so matter of factly that I had to smile a little.

“Yes, last time I checked I was a man.”

“No, you’re not a man. You’re a male. A male siren. I haven’t seen a male siren other than my father and brothers on this island before. Only sirens and human females can come to this island. The Sea Queen decreed it long ago because her firstborn took her first steps on this island,” She extended her hand and I awkwardly shook.

“Okay… ummm… I’m Deril, least that’s what my current master calls me,” I pulled back my hand and adjusted the edge of my vest.

“You’re a slave?” Her eyes widened and she stepped back.

“Yes… is that a problem-?”

“Humans aren't allowed to own our kind.” She turned to the sea and the ship began to come towards the island at an incredible speed. “Do you want them destroyed?”

“What?!” I looked at her in disbelief. She seemed so gentle and yet she was asking to kill a ship full of innocent- Oh who am I kidding? I thought They’re all wanted criminals, and murderers. They deserve it. My eyes burned for a second. “Do it.”

She held out her arms and the storm begin to form. The ocean lashed out, in the same way, I had always wanted to. The wind slashed at the sales, ropes snapped and the remaining lifeboats feel useless and broken into the water. Men were screaming like all the others they’d sent to their deaths. After a minute or so the ship smashed into a hundred pieces.

“Your eyes are sea blue,” She said after turning to look at me. “They were bad people, we served justice. Do you know how to breathe underwater?”

I smiled and shook my head, “No.”

She smiled and took my hand, “Then come on.
She led me to the sea and we dived in, her dress of old sails billowed and I pulled off my vest. Water filled my lungs but didn’t drown me, we went deep seeing things I could never describe. I never went back to the surface, and I never felt sorry for what we did. After all, we were sirens. When humans come on our seas, we get to judge who goes back to their shores.



Photo by: Jeremy Bishop

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South to Freedom

The Lava Warriors

The Human I'm Friends With