Raven Part Three

Raven
Part Three
E. M. Areson

Dorcas and Tyrannic were laughing so hard the table overturned as they banged against it in there laughing stupor. Dorcas was only mildly disturbed by Tyrannic’s pointed teeth and chackling laugh. He was a good man, she had decided. Better than most, if not all, of the Grand Knights.
“This has been wonderful,” Dorcas said calming down. “I love our tea times. I think this is what I’ll miss most. You know, after I die…”
“I- I don’t-”
“No. I understand, we’re slaves to our Imps. I understand,” Dorcas swallowed and looked down at the table. “I’ll just really miss you.”
“I’ll miss you too,” Tyrannic gently took her hand and she blushed at the touch. “I think I…” His words seemed to fail him, and she looked up. “I have something for you, I’d like you to open it before leave.”
          Tyrannic got up and removed the lid from a box next to his oven she hadn’t noticed earlier. The gift, whatever it was, was wrapped in a white paper. Tyrannic looked down at it as he carried it over to the table. Dorcas look at the package as he set it before her; tentatively, she unwrapped it. She gasped and stood up looking to Tyrannic for an explanation.
“I know black isn’t your usual color, but I know there's a ball tonight. I thought you could wear it; if you’d like to. Do you like it?” He held it up, so she could see the long dress, with elegant sleeves.
“I’ve never seen such a beautiful gown. I love it,” she thought she was going to cry. “Thank you! Oh, thank you!”

I had bought Dorcas a dress, knowing full well I couldn’t see her in it, I would only see her happiness. I had held up the dress, so she could see it and after exclaiming how much she loved it, she had run towards me. She stroked the dress and with a tear in her eye she told me it was the most beautiful gift she had ever been given. Seeing her reaction, I decided I would go to the ball; even if it killed me. I wanted to dance with the lady I had seen in my dream, and in my mind then, I had decided that was Dorcas.
Then, she derailed all the thoughts I’d had at the time. She had taken the dress from my hands and set it on the table. Then she had taken my hand and kissed my cheek. I hadn’t ever been kissed, in anyway, before that. It gave me such a strange feeling; her breath against my skin only a split second before her lips. They were soft against my rough cheek, and the hands she put in mine were so delicate, at the time I had been speechless. I had wanted to pull her into my arms and kiss her, but I knew from the way we looked at each other that if we started something, even something as innocent as a kiss, we wouldn’t have stopped. I knew I couldn’t let that happen.
Though it had killed me I let the moment pass and she left a few minutes later. I began to get ready, I had to go to that ball. Maybe there, with all those people, it would be safe to kiss her. Maybe, surrounded by all the Grand Knights and Ladies, maybe I could do it. Maybe, I had thought, I could confess my love. A new thought hit me as I was on my way to the ball. I loved Dorcas, but day after tomorrow I was going to kill her. The Imp would take control of me and I would be helpless to stop myself.
The plan I formed then was my lethal choice. I knew I would die by either the Imp, which I had known could kill those who defined it for too long, or Sir Goodheart. Yet, I had made up my mind. I was going to die before I had a chance to hurt Dorcas. We were both supposed to die; but if I died first, I had thought, she would be saved.

          Dorcas looked in the mirror in disbelief. Her hair was finally straight, she had the perfect dancing shoes, and she was wearing the black dress. Through some wonder her Imp seemed to be at a loss with the idea of her being given the black dress. She could almost feel it’s confusion, but she didn’t really care. The black complimented her figure like no other piece of clothing she had ever worn.
I wish Tyrannical could see me like this, she thought blushing. I love the dress, she blushed even more. I love him to. It’s strange to love my future killer but I do. I wish he would have kissed me, but he was right not to. We were alone, I love him and we'll both die day after tomorrow. It would have been so easy for things to go wrong.
Dorcas imagined the feel of his cheek against her lips again. It felt kind of rough, but she liked the feeling. The ball was in the great hall, which also doubled as the ballroom, and was open to all. Many of the Grand Knights and Ladies were already dancing when she walked in. They didn’t notice her, they never did, but she did notice him. It was a masquerade ball and he was in black with a raven mask, just like hers.    
She kept looking for a minute before he saw her. He walked towards her with a cocky smile. When he reached her, he bowed and took her hand. She smiled back and curtsied. They didn’t need more introduction then that and as the music started up again Tyrannic pulled her onto the dance floor.
“So, dear Raven, how do you like the ball so far?” He asked as he put his arms around her for the first dance.
“Very well Lord. The gown fits like it was made for me.” She liked being called Raven. It was the first time he’d called her that, but it was so much better than Dorcas.
“But of course, my dear. Only the finest is good enough for you.”
“How did you manage such a costume in time for the ball?”
The music shifted and Tyrannic spun her around and pulled her closer, so they were up against each other. “I wanted to see my Raven when she’s not dressed like a canary. For though you look lovely as a canary, as a raven you look like a queen.”
Her heart was beating so fast she could barely breathe, “I’m glad the Lord of gardens could come and see his bird then.”
“Do you mean that?”
“About being glad you’re here?”
He spun her again but this time the gap grew, “No. About you being mine. For as a humble Lord of gardens I know it is not the gardener who owns the bird, but the bird who choices the gardener.”
“Then in that case,” she breathed. “I’m glad my Lord of gardens has come. I would have missed not seeing him.”
“As he would you.”
          They had danced into a deserted part of the room. Everyone else, who wasn’t dancing, was watching Sir Goodheart and Princess Ora dance. Tyrannic spun her for a final time then took her in his arms and they stopped dancing. He leaned forward, put his hand around her neck and kissed her. She barely had time to register what was happening before he pulled away.
He started to back off, “I’m sorry my Raven. But the Lord of gardens must die if he is to save the bird he loves. If he doesn’t die, they both will. I love you.”
“I love you too. But you don’t have to die to save me. We could find another way,” she reached for his arm.
“There is none.” He walked away, towards the middle of the room, took off his mask and yelled at the top of his lungs. “I am Lord Tyrannic. I surrender to Sir Goodheart, to receive what punishment he wills for my crimes!”

Part Four Comming On 12/22/17

Photo by Alvin Mahmudov

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South to Freedom

The Lava Warriors

The Human I'm Friends With