The King

The King

By E. M. Areson

It had all been determined long ago they had told me. They said it was my destiny to overthrow him and start a peaceful empire. What they had never told me I’m a monster. The very things that made me a hero also make me a terror… at least it’s what I think now. The monks never meant for to find out; it was all my fault. Everything’s my fault.
        After a lifetime of training, I had finally earned the right to wear the red vest, the same my father and his father had worn. Looking back now I wonder why the thought never occurred to me that if my father and grandfather had lived just like I had, without ever meeting a woman before their twentieth birthday, which they both died on, how I had been born. I just excepted it was truth… and murdered accordingly.
        The night I did it was a blur, so much fighting. I was careful not to kill anyone or harm any civilians, just like I’d been taught. After less than ten minutes I found him, being waited on by dozens of slaves, I challenged him for the kingdom. Like every king must, he excepted and we fought. He was stronger than I expected and had no problem with accidentally hurting the servants. I was careful to ensure nothing I did would touch them.
        The fight was over in minutes, he’d put up a good fight, but I was king now. They took his body away and I ordered he be buried like he would have if not defeated. I lead the kingdom in a month of mourning. No one seemed to wonder who I was and that should have made me think. I was an idiot. Only after I visited the monks again did I learned the truth. Sitting in a room of prayer I heard some of the brothers talking.
“…so, when do we start training his replacement?”
“As soon as we find a promising orphan, we’ll tell this one the king killed his parents.”
“Didn’t we use that with the one who wore a purple vest?”
“Yes, but it works out the same. I doubt they’d notice if we told them all the same story about why they should kill the king. A king should only rain for twenty years. Best if we just keep getting orphans to do it, they’ll believe anything …”
        They’ve only just gone down the hall, yet I feel like I’ve gained the knowledge of an elder. The vest is a joke, using orphans they challenge and kill the king every twenty years, orphans like me. I’ve not received vengeance; I’ve killed the rightful king. Or was he an orphan too? Maybe we haven’t had a real king in hundreds of years, and maybe we never will. The only thing I can do is try and be the best king while I have the throne and ask God’s forgiveness for seeking vengeance on the innocent. 

Photo by Zoltan Tasi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South to Freedom

The Lava Warriors

The Human I'm Friends With