A Little Talk About Inequality

A Little Talk About Inequality

    It's hard to write about inequality when you’re white, when you know it’s easy for you because you’ve never had that fight. But I am a writer and my words are my weapons. Violence isn’t the answer to the problems we’re facing but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t fight. It’s easier to ignore all the problems that you hear about just because they don’t affect you or those you care about. But we have to stop pretending we can’t see. While those with the power to change sit in their places of power and look down from above people still have to fight for the right to live and love. And it's not right. Maybe we say all created equal but it's a lie and we know it because there are so many born without the right to speak and there are so many who are denied the freedom to think. Life’s not fair but we don’t have to just let it be unjust too. We say we’re all free but are we really? When there are so many who have to live in fear every day knowing that whatever they do they can’t give an excuse. They can’t be the proof that the prejudice people want to see, they have to be perfect so they can be free. But they can’t be, no one could. So they get robbed of their lives and livelihood. 
A one of the greatest men once said that he had a dream, and I have stood where he stood but what did I see? I saw a world still filled with injustice and hate. I saw people not getting a voice or a choice. I saw hate and fear and it feels like there’s no escape. But I also see hope, because if people are fighting it means that they care. If people are asking for justice it means they are tired of not letting people have it.
I am one of the lucky ones. I don’t have to be afraid of the police. I don’t have to worry about being singled out. I don’t have to live in fear. I have a small voice, but it's mine nonetheless so hear what I say. Black lives matter. They always have and they always will. Please don’t let injustice run wild, when people ignore the problems instead of fixing them it's like saying you don’t care enough to change things. And things can change, and they will if those who have a voice continue to speak up and let it be heard that we won’t allow prejudice to run free anymore. Black lives matter. And we shouldn’t stop fighting for them until we are able to live in a society that really acts like all people are created equal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South to Freedom

The Lava Warriors

Already Dead