Who needs Charming?

Who needs Charming?
By E. M. Areson

I rolled my shoulders. The muscles were stiff, but not so stiff that I’d let it get in my way. I turned my neck this way and that to stretch it out. Armor was very ridged, even for a woman. My frame had been smaller than the suit was made for when I first donned my guise, but now I was brouder with muscles under my no longer snow-white skin. My eyes once a light purple turned blue then green once no longer around so much flambount magic. My fair hair turned dark without the magic powders my mother had made me use. I loved my mother, but she doesn’t understand. I don’t want to be rescued.  
My iron horse, Blossom once and now Charcol, was resting his mechanical body and eating grass. Well, he’s not really eating but he is fueling his enternan engen with the grass so it is eating in a way. It’s a sturdy mech, and its tarnished silver looks enchanting. I smiled a bitter smile, he wasn’t a princess’s iron horse anymore. Just like I wasn't a princess.
I thought of him, Prince Junio, he had been my Charming. I think I might have even loved him. The thought of him brought back the pain. I hate the pain. I want to be strong, I don’t want to care like I do. He isn’t meant for me. My Charming was in reality nothing but a friend. I might have been able to win him one day but how can a princess who just sits in her tower all day be expected to win her Charming. No, I don’t want to be saved. I squeeze my fist so hard my fingernail almost bruise the skin.
The clearing is cool but not cold in the spring weather. I am alone with Charcol. I haven’t even lit a fire, we’re just resting for a few hours and then I’ll continue on my way. I’m looking for the Steel Dragon. It will be a sign on my independence.
What else can I do? Fate isn’t going to come knocking on my door. If you want something you have to hunt down Fate, kick in its door and steal your destiny. You can’t wait for your Charming to come to you. After all, I smiled as I thought it, what if the poor fool gets stuck in a tree or something?

Photo by: Samuel Zeller

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South to Freedom

The Lava Warriors

Already Dead